The village of Laferté seems to be ested around the IXth century. A papal bull from pope John VIII dated from 876 says:
"Et in Barensi pago sylvam quam locant montem Sancti Eugendi super fluvium Alboe vocabulo ibi ecclesia in honore Sancti Eugendi constructa est."
What may be translated as: "in the country of Bar woods, where a hill is called 'Saint Eugende', above the river 'Aube', there is build a church in honor
of 'Saint Eugende'".
A priory may exist at the same time. Around the Xth century, some 'Achard' also called 'the Norman' build the first castle. One of its descendants (son of
maybe grand-son), 'Notcher', count of Bar, is called 'de La Ferté'.
The feudal castle Laferté has its own lords, dependent of the count of Bar then of the counts of Champagne. Laferté experienced the glorious past of a citadel at the door of Champagne. Built on a rocky outcrop overlooking the vally of the river 'Aube', it remains only a few traces of the past. A steep slope at the corner of an alley or a flight of steps mark the locations of the old ramparts. Stairs a the end of the 'Jude's street', along the church and in a covered alley (between Pierre Champagne street and Maugé street). Steep slope in the begining of the 'Billette's brothers street, at the end of the 'lovers alley' (between Beurnonville street and Mill street), in the Castle alley between the Castle place and Maugé street), at the top of the Down alley (between Maugé street and Villars street) and finally, stairs and steep slope in small alleys (between Billette's brothers street and Marasi street)...
In red, Laferté, in yellow, Chateauvillain, in blue, Arc-en-Barrois.
A sight of Laferté in 1544. (painted canvas for Charles V, BN Spain, Madrid.)